Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Vacation

The last two weeks were spent in the town of Slaughter,LA. My son lives there. Before I left I checked my modeling magazine to see if there were any flying contests when I was there. There was. A control line contest at the city park in Baton Rouge. My son and I drove around the park several times when the contest was supposed to be going on but couldn't find it. The next day we had to go to Fort Polk to deliver some furniture and went back to the park around 3pm. Still nothing. I knew that the contest CD lived a mile from my son and my wife bumped into him and set up our meeting. We talked for a while and he gave me ideas on trimming the first toy as it had a bad "hunt" when flying. I got several other ideas and noticed he had built a model with a Nobler wing like mine. Only the leadout lines on his were far forward of where mine are. We got home and I went to work on the first change to the plane. I re-did the wing tip so the leadouts matched the other plane. I also removed one ounce of tip weight. I went to the old school in Oneco and got in a short flight to test the change. I'm headed in the right direction. The plane didn't hunt. The wind was blowing too hard to try anything fancy so I packed up and went home. I figure that the aft placement of the leadouts turned the plane to the outside of the circle and created turbulence over the elevator causing erratic flight. When the wind slacks off and I can fly it again I'll be able to decide on other changes if needed. I have figured out how to get a plane to LA so I can fly or compete in the fall contest.I plan to order a Sig Primary Force A.R.F. and complete the recommended changes to the control system and hinges then pack it back up in the same box it came in and send it to LA. When I get there I'll assemble the model and it should be ready to fly.The CD, Gil, mentioned that the designer of the Primary Force sells laser cut short kits so I ordered one to build while waiting to order the ready built one. Sig also has a kit of the Acromaster, a .15 size model that sells for 23.99. This will be able to fly in my sons yard on 40 foot lines. A good trainer. All this is in the works including fixing up a 71 El Camino for the road.
Perry Rose

No comments: