Thursday, October 11, 2007

Newest planes

After swapping engines I got the weight and balance of the planes into reasonable range. The maple core red one is lighter than the almost all balsa yellow one. But with all the holes I drilled in the maple core I figured it would be flyable. Now it has a .45 engine and the other has the .40 size engine. The yellow one has a 54 inch wing span and 580 sq. in. at 55 ounces. The red one has 53 inch span and 554 sq. in. at 52 ounces. Monokote on the wings and stabs with Luster kote spray paint on the fuse. I painted the red one on a very humid day and it truned white with trapped humidity in the paint. Luckily after drying two days I hit it again and the new paint covered the mess quite well. The engine swap caused minor damage to the balsa triplers as I had to make cutouts for the engine holddown bolts and nuts. I even put wheel pants on the models. A first for me. Just flat pieces of plastic though, profile pants for profile planes.
Perry Rose

No comments: