Friday, February 29, 2008

Things to do while waiting.


I am waiting for a laser cut kit of a large Ringmaster designed for competition. It uses a molded leading edge and a built up trailing edge. I haven't used either technique in any of my planes and figured I should get some experiance doing it. I made a mold form using the airfoil from the Primary Force model. I soaked some balsa and wrapped it around the form. Success. I made up a trailing edge and it came out well. Then I figured that the acid test would be to make a wing using these parts. The wing came out straight and quite stiff. Now I have a good wing and no plane. I whipped up a fuselage using the Primary Force numbers and in line arrangement. Slightly different shape and the tail is bigger. All up weight is 38 ounces, the lightest plane of that size so far. 586 square inch wing, Fox .40 engine. Balance came out within 3/8" of plan so it should fly as is. If the weather ever warms up. A snow storm ruined plans to get and engine for the El Camino last weekend. I'll try again next weekend. I have to borrow a pickup to get the engine. I got a new 3 ton chainfall to lift the engine when I get it home. I've needed one for a long time and finally got one.




No comments: