Friday, January 6, 2017

Screw ups and findings.

The electric Pathfinder flys very well and looks pretty good too. That is something I don't do very often.
Anyway, after fixing the wing on the Shark 610 I built a new fuselage for it and installed an engine instead of electric. Shortly after finishing that project The wing on the Shark 665 broke in half during a flight. The outboard half floated down and plopped on the ground next to me. I had to walk the 60 feet to get the rest of the plane. I had built the wing in two halfs and glued them together with a butt joint. It would have been stronger it the joint was inside the fuselage but it was outside by an inch and that is where it broke. I cobbled another wing together using the Adjusto-Jig this time which lets me build the entire wing in one piece. The original wing had a twist as does the 610 wing and needed a tab to make it level in flight. Now the new 665 wing is straight and the plane flys better all around.
 Now to the first Shark I built a few years ago, the 560. I couldn't get an engine to run steady no matter what I did. After a few laps any engine, fuel, fuel tank combo would go to warp speed. No matter which prop or what I did to modify the engine the same thing would happen on every flight. I had an idea of the problem and looking back at my blog posts confirmed it. I wrote that I was going to build the plane like the plans showed even though I had concerns about the short motor mounts. I also used balsa that was too soft for the front end of the plane. That combo allowed the engines to set up a resonance causing the over speeding. I cut channels into the nose, removed the short mounts and installed mounts that extended back to the wing leading edge. About 4 times longer than the originals. A little paint slopped on and the problem was solved.
Next contest is in Dallas Presidents day weekend.

No comments: