Thursday, October 28, 2021

When the plane knows best.

After the Legacy 40 chewed my hand up and some healing had taken place I figured it was time to go fly again. The Legacy 40 was first up. After hooking the lines up I ran a cloth up the lines to clean them. While at the handle I checked to see if I had hooked them up properly. As I moved the handle I felt a crunch. I went to the plane and moved the leadouts the crunch was there internally. Then I noticed that the rear line was out of place and moved fore and aft freely. I put it away for further inspedtion. At home I found the slider had broken and the broken piece was in the wing. I shook the plane and the what I thought was the broken piece, came to the wing tip. I had already installed a fixed position guide by cutting the loop of the leadout end, poking a hole in the covering and threading the leadout wire through the new guide. As it always happens the broken piee wasn't broken, it was one part of a two part slider. I forgot about it and only tightened one screw and the other fell out. So I removed the fixed guide and reinstalled the original piece biting the screw end threads on both screws this time. So I figure the plane knew there was a problem that could end badly and let me know bu chewing my hand thereby giving me time to get my mind straight and find and fix the problem. I'm in the process of filling and sanding the Mo'Best. I'm using talc and dope as the filler. It works quite well.

No comments: