Saturday, October 23, 2021

Another alignment helper.

The slots for the flap control horns at the trailing edge of the wing cut out in the fuselage are on the wing chord line. Even though I make a mark on what I call the extended chord line to help with flap centering I can not guarantee it's perfect location. From what I have seen the 1/64 ply sides cut outs are perfectly placed. The wing built such that there was no sanding of the cutout to get the wing to fit. Same with the stab. cutout. And using an incedence meter the cutouts are zero zero. So I figured that the flap fairings could use the control horn slot to place them perfectly in reference to the wing chord line. I had to make new fairings that use a 1/8 center with a tab that plugs into the slot and top and bottom layers of 1/16 to bring the thickness up to 1/4 just like the kit pieces. The 1/8 needed a bit of sanding so it will fit smoothly without forcing it into the slot. I'm going to use Sig Bond so I have time to align the three pieces. After the flaps are hinged and glued in place I'll install the new fairings. Some sanding for good gaps is necessary.

No comments: