Friday, February 17, 2023

Doing it wrong.

I've always had to make line length adjustments on a new plane. Then quite often the plane would have a better turn in one direction than the other. I couldn't figure it out and thought it was the way I assembled it. A few weeks ago I thought that maybe the bellcrank was not square even though I took pains to assure that it was. After checking I found that the bellcrank was not square and therefore had more travel in one of the directions. Most often the down direction. I hung the plane by the leadouts and found that they were even and that the bellcrank was square to the fuselage. I put 3 ounce weight at the fuel tank location to make it more realistic like in flight and re adjusted the controls so the flaps and elevator are in line with the wing and stab. chord lines. That made a big difference in how the plane flys. The profiles were the easiest to fix but I had to cut a hole in the fuselage of the full body planes. During this I found one of the planes had a loose pushrod. On that one and the second one of that design I had made provisions for just this kind of problem and didn't have to cut the fuselages. My old Pathfinder is flying very well now and I bought another Pathfinder kit and I'm in the process of building it.

No comments: