Thursday, September 13, 2012

Contest report.

 On Sunday I got a long look at the Classic score board and it didn't look right. My fears were affirmed when one of the officials said he had to re-calculate the scores.
  The winds were very light and shifting around. I was first up in my class and got 485 points. After the first round I was in first place. I didn't figure that would hold up after the second round as several others had put up pretty good first flights. The second round was closer but my 492 was 3.5 points ahead of the second place finisher.
  That class win put me in the fly-off for the Mass Cup. All the class winners fly again and the best flight wins the cup. I was flying my scratch built PT-73 that I've had for a long time. It was my back-up plane at Lee, Ma but didn't see action because of the winds. I figured I owed it a shot at a contest as it's been flying for several years. I put up over 100 flights between Lee and Wrentham. The engine ran very well and it beat several much better planes both electric and fuel powered. One of the planes we beat was the $3500.00 Shark/electric that was up after me at Lee but didn't fly. I only got 8 appearance points but the Shark being an RTF didn't get any. Anyway I walked away with a first place in Classic, after re-tabulating, a first in AMA Stunt and the Mass Cup plus Best Classic Model.
 Over the winter I plan on re-finishing the PT-73.
  I started my first winter project and have it framed up and the wing installed into the fuselage. I made wing mounted gear and am carving the top block and canopy now. I installed an r/c type firewall and motor mount as it's said to be lighter than the all wood crutch normally used. I bought a wing kit from Brodak and will use the only piece usable from the Pathfinder wreck, the stab/elev. This is the first plane built on the old dining room table I inherited.

1 comment:

Qu'que chose said...

He inherited the table because I have a beautiful, new, rectangular, cherry table that we bought on sale at Chariho Furniture in RI. Yay for me! I love the new table.