Saturday, June 2, 2018

A little progress.

I didn't want to do it but I did. I have a roll of Poly Span covering and against my better judgement I started to cover the wing and pieces with it. I didn't have any clear dope paint to stick it on with so I poked a tiny hole in the to of a spray can of clear and used that. After the pressure was released I pried the top off and poured the paint into a coffee can. I used it to stick the fiberglass cloth to the fuselage and put a couple coats around the perimeter of the small parts. I started with the fin/rudder and it worked pretty good. The poly span is heat shrinkable so I used the heat gun to tighten it up before applying two coats of clear to the whole thing. On the elevators and flaps I figured the monokote iron could do the shrinking so I could have more control over the heat as the covering opens up if it gets too hot. I used one piece of covering on each part like I do with monokote. Trying to get the covering to bend sharply around a corner and waiting for the paint to dry enough to hold it there is a problem. I used the iron over the edge of the corner to crease the covering and force it into place. That worked very well just like monokote. I still have the wing to cover but I need a fan to remove the paint fumes first. After that the whole plane needs some coats of clear and filler and sanding then colors and more sanding then another coat of clear and more sanding. If I used monokote it would be flying by now. The plans say that the original plane only had 6 coats of paint to keep the weight down.That was around 1950 long before monokote coverings.
  The temperature has been very warm so far this spring. In the 90's 30 of the 31 days in may and still going in early June. I try to get to the park early and am able to get in only 2 flights before the gnats and heat drive me out. There has been no wind to speak of either which makes it tough because I have to walk backwards to keep the plane out of it's wake turbulence. I learned that the hard way. But it's perfect conditions to check the trim of the plane in flight.

No comments: