Saturday, May 26, 2018

Building the Super Chief.

From the plans I got at the El Dorado contest i figured I could build a plane that will be good for Old Time Stunt and Classic stunt. The Gypsy is under going a re finish and isn't flyable. Anyway I've been scratch building the Chief from old plans. It has a pretty good airfoil and was the impetus for the Nobler design that is still being flown over 60 years later. It's almost ready to cover and I have enough Monokote for the wings and tail.
  I had an old engine given to me a long time ago and never used it in a plane until now. So it's almost new old stock. I found the callout for the Georgia contest and read it looking for hotel information. I found that mufflers are required and the engine was designed when noise wasn't a problem and therefore didn't have provisions for a muffler. I had a light enough muffler that will do the job and had to make an adapter clamp for it. As long as it don't fall off during an official flight I'm all set.
  It's been quite warm all month and I've been getting to the park early and only staying for an hour of so. The wind has been very light which makes it tough and the gnats are not being blown away. They are not afraid of bug spray either.


No comments: