Thursday, May 3, 2018

Something old I just remembered.

I got to the field early yesterday and the helper was mowing. I got in a flight with the Nomad 5 as he was coming closer every pass. The air was as smooth as I have ever seen it and the plane performed perfectly. I went home and let the field get mowed. I returned this morning with the P-39 and Gypsy to get the final trim set for them. At home I started cleaning the lines I'll be using at the contest, the same ones I use now. After cleaning I remembered something we did to the granite surface plates at UNC when I worked there. We did a lot of measuring on those plates with gauges that slid across the stone surface. If the surface wasn't perfectly clean the gauge would catch and mess things up. After we cleaned the plate with "surface plate cleaner" we would take a piece of plastic sheet and rub the surface plate with it to polish and somehow dry lubricate it. There was something about the plastic sheet that really made the stone surface slick. Anyway the reason for cleaning the lines is to have them slide over each other as they twist in the maneuvers. A maximum of 4 twists during the inverted flight portion of the pattern. I end the flight with 3 twists for the last 6 maneuvers. So I thought of using a piece of clean plastic to rub the lines with before flying. If it works on the first flight I'll rub all the lines but not until it lessens the friction of the twisted lines.

No comments: