Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Ready for a first flight.

The plane in the previous post has been set up for a test flight. I'm leaving the canopy off for now os I can get at the controls to make any needed adjustments. I was using the engine, an Evo .60 that I got at the estate sale, on the Nomad 4 to get some run time on it. I removed it and installed it into the new plane along with a plastic fuel tank of 6 ounce capacity. Plastic tanks are plumbed differently from a metal tank. Metal tanks have the pick up tube soldered into position and need to be a bit over half full to start on the ground. That may be way too much run time if the plane is flying poorly. Plastic tanks have a "clunk" at the end of some silicone fuel tubing that follows the fuel around and will pick up the last drop without being in the air. I can put one ounce is a six ounce tank and get a short flight to see how it handles before putting in several ounces. The field has some standing water all around and I have to take that into consideration.
  I found a new home for the Stalker .51 that I got at the estate sale and put in the Nomad 3 that crashed. I have 3 planes that are on the large side for the .46 engines that I have in them. One is a scratch built Legacy 40. I removed the .46 and installed the .51. I got in a couple flights yesterday with it and the performance is better with the more powerful engine. Another of the 3 planes is the one I fly in the Classic event the "Gypsy". The Dallas contest is next month so I need to get that swap going. The third is the Mo'Best. It's a profile and will be the easiest one to convert.
  The contest here is on track but the date I was forced into isn't the best as there are contests too close for comfort. Even though they are far away they are more prestigious. I have to double check with the park folks and see if the carnival is on when we figured it would be. If not I'll change dates.

No comments: