Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Long ago and far far away.

In the early to mid 1950's I had acquired a plastic model airplane one Christmas. It came ready to fly with a small engine. The Fuel destroyed the plastic in a few weeks leaving me with an engine. The next town over had a Western Auto store and they had some model airplane kits. Much like the picture here. I somehow got the $1.50 +.05 tax and bought one. I was able to build it and get it into the air once or twice. A historic accomplishment for the time.A few years later the Cox engine ,like the one on the plane, came along. It had the fuel tank attached to the engine greatly simplifying the building process. Since then the whole hobby has grown and improved. This is the first time I scratch built one of these models. Very basic assembly instructions to go by, no dimensions and a fading memory. I planned on flying it but it's a wall hanger now. The wing span is 18 inches, the engine has .049 cubic inches. The wing span on the planes I build now are close to 60 inches.

1 comment:

Qu'que chose said...

Yup, it's mine! Thank you very much!