Friday, December 11, 2020

Some findings.

The new Legacy's controls has slight squeek.I looked every where and couldn't pin point the location. It sounded like it was inside the wing. I figured that it was causing the controls to bind a bit which was causing the non stable flight. Finally I went postal on the plane. I hung it by the leadouts and dribbled some oil down the leadout wires oping that would lubricate things inside the wing. Then I cut a hole in the fuselage bottom and put some WD-40 on the bellcrank post. Then I oiled all the hinges. The squeek was still there. The last thing to check was the elevator horn assembly. I use a 4-40 bolt with a Du-Bro aileron connector and a Du-Bro 4-40 steel clevis. I drilled the hole in the connector larger and found the clevis wasn't any freer. I removed it and it struck me that I used a 6-32 bolt and connector this time. The connector is thicker than the 4-40 one and the clevis was closing on it and binding a bit. After some sanding it freed up. The next day The oil had worked it's way into all the parts and the squeek was gone. I flew the plane and now it flys like it should. With that bit of information I lubed all the hinges and bushings on all my planes.I did find a few hinges that were tight.

No comments: