Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Tanks and repairs.

We spent the Thanksgiving week in Ct with our daughter and family and visited relatives and friends. We quaranteened for several hours each night at a hotel in Plainfield. Drove all over the towns we used to frequent and shopped at Wal Mart for some cold weather gear we can't get in south Louisiana. I must say that the new Tundra ran perfectly getting 20 mpg on average and is more comfortable than any of the cars/trucks we have owned. Trip total mileage was 3606. Driving before daybreak on unfamilar roads with construction and heavy traffic at 75 mph was hairy. I flew the Ringmaster and the engine wasn't running right with the metal tank. At home I installed the 6 ounce plastic tank again and opened the metal tank to check it out. I think the uni flow tube was too close to the pick up tube causing air bubbles to enter the fuel flow to the engine. I cut a half inch off the uni flow tube and re soldered things back together. I'm going to fly the plastic tank again before meking any more changes. I could put the metal tank on another plane for a test. I flew the Nomad with the repaired stab several times and it flies better than it did. The stab must have been flexing previously. I had ordered 4 new batteries a few weeks before going on the trip and was concerned about them sitting on the mail box for two weeks. Luckily they arrived the day before we left. I had to change the plugs on all four and got a 4 minute flight on each yesterday. I have enough batteries for a while.

No comments: