Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Still trimming and other problems.

I removed the gap seals on the Legacy and made more room for the elevtor pushrod as it exits the fuselage under the stab. A test flight was kinda better but the winds were causing a lot of turbulance. I flew the repainted Nomad and the trim stayed on. On the last flight, of course,as the plane came around the circle into the wind the stab. started to flutter. It happened just after completing the pattern so there wasn't much fuel left. I figured the stab. would rip off and crash the plane. I held it high and the fluttering stopped until it ran out of fuel. At home I removed the covering from the stab. and didn't find any broken parts. I scabbed some thicker balsa over all the ribs on both halves. That stiffened the stab. a lot. I had some covering and ironed that on. It's ready to go again. The Ringmaster Excel has a small area to install a fuel tank. I had a 4 ounce Du-Bro tank but it was barely large enough to get in a complete flight. I installed a 6 ounce tank, again plastic, and that caused a lot of trouble as it gets forced into the tank compartment. I removed that one and decieded to build a metal tank. I had 4.5 inches of room and had to trim the metal down to 3.75 inches so I could put the tubing in. After adding one end cap I checked the capacity and got 5.5 ounces which is more than enough to do the flight. Maybe a test flight today.

No comments: