Thursday, January 14, 2021

The clear coat continues.

After asking how long should I wait to final sand I backed that up by going to Youtube. Everyones advise seemed to mesh so I sanded. I bought some polish used on Youtube and put my buffer to work. It came out quite well. After doing this for 70+ years I finally got a shiney paint job. I had shortened the nose 3/4 inch as the plans I used to build were not quite correct. I re installed the engine and got in a few short flights. It flys better than before. I had to install a larger fuel tank and changed engines while I was at it. The one that was in spewed a lot of oil. I test flew that combination with good results. I should mention that I put a pallet across the ditch I have to cross to get to the field. When I had the plane for the first test flight the pallet slipped on the muddy ground when I stepped on it. Somehow I didn't fall with the plane and field box but the stabilizer got damaged. I had to replace several ribs and re cover the damaged area. All is well. A few weeks ago I flew the little red plane at my sons yard. I pulled up into a half loop to go inverted and the wing tip hit a limb. That caused a violent yaw which broke the fuselage causing a crash. I glued it back together and get in several flights here. Yesterday I was flying it and the engine went wild. I did some loops up high and the motor quit but the lines went slack. Then the engien re started and drove the plane into the ground. The fuselage broke in the same place again. I must re think this project.

No comments: