Thursday, December 9, 2021

A good find.

I had a sticky spot in the controls of the MO' Best. It turned out to be paint build up on the leadouts. I used a razor blade to scrape it off. I checked all the other planes and found those that were painted had some contamination on the leadout cables. The Monokoted wings didn't have that problem as no paint got near the cables. I've been using Monokote since it came out and just recently started using paper and dope again on the wings. Both planes, Mo Best and L-17 are flying. The L-17 has flown as the P40-Q for a few years so it didn't need much trimming. I did find the leadout slider loose though. It has a slider for each line and both had loosened and departed from the slotted piece. Luckily both bolts were still in the slider blocks. I found that the washers were too small and upon getting loose enough the slider block fell into the wing. I made a hole under the wing tip to get at the blocks and removed the bolt and replaced the washers with larger ones and re set the leadout location. It was an easier fix than the other plane. The thing is I flew it with the leadouts loose and did the pattern with it. Who knew?

No comments: