Friday, July 29, 2022

Trimming the second Twister.

The "Last Twister" flew great right away. I expected the "Second Twister" to do the same. It didn't. I finally got a handle on it by adjusting the elevator to flap alignment. Now I'm zeroing in on the tip weight. I had about an ounce and now it's down to a quarter ouce or less. I just cut a corner off so I don't know really what it weighs. The engine is the same as the one on the Last Twister,.40LA, except for the mufflers. I have a stock muffler on the second one and a Fox .35 muffler on the Last one. Other than that the set ups are the same. The Last ones engine used 3.75 ounces for the pattern and the second uses 3.0 ounces. There's no reason that I can find for the fuel economy difference. Neither engine is running at a high speed, launching at 8500rpm. Over 5 second lap times and good line tension on both. This is one of the 3 engines that I bought parts for and put back in service a month ago. Crankshafts and connecting rods are the only parts that would effect performance that I bought. I used the original parts to make 3 .46's several years ago. The planes are flying well, that's the bottom line.

No comments: