Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Flats and findings.

We left the park and the truck seemed to be pulling to the left a bit. I got a short distance ffrom the park and the truck was pulling left harder. I pulld into the Wallgreen's and had to change the left front tire. A first for me to change one "on the road". After some research I found an entry on the trucks book for the tires. Installed in 2009 and coing the math the tires have 92110 miles on them. Michelin's. I found a set on Amazon and they arrived yesterday. Now to get them on the truck. Two weeks ago I stumbled on something that made my planes fly better. When I built them I always adjust the controls for neutral before closing up the full fuselage ones and do the same for the porfiles. Then I adjust the line lengths to get them to fly right, not good but right. I've done this forever it seems. It occurred to me that it wasn't quite right. I compared my best flying planes to the others and found that by hanging them from the leadouts, using equal length connectors, the better flying planes were much closer to having the flaps and elevators in a neutral position. I usualy mark the neutral spot on the fuselage for the flaps and go from there. The first plane that was an OK flyer got the new set up and it flew a lot better. As did the second and third. This morning I finished the last plane in the fleet of 22. It was a pretty good flyer but not quite good enough. It took a half turn of the flap clevis and a half turn of the elevator clevis to zero out the controls. I built in an opening for the flap clevis on the full fuselage plane but only on two of the planes. I have two others that have to go with different length line connectors at the plane end. That seems like it should work but it offsets the bell crank and gives a false neutral which gives more up or down than the other way. There's no good way to hide a hole in the top of the fuselage. On one of the planes I found a lot of slop in the controls and had to change some hardware in the system to rid the plane of the slop. I used ball links on that one and it's the only one that has given me trouble. "Z" bends and clevis's for me.

No comments: