Saturday, July 6, 2024

It fits.

I ordered a piece of 3/16 6061 T-6 aluminum plate from Amazon for the second universal motor mount. That came in today and I got to work. The Brodak 40 did fit the first universal mount so I used that to machine the second. After a lot of filing to fit and using counter sink head screws I got the .40 mounted and ready to fly. I changed the wheels for larger ones to handle the long grass even where it's been mowed. I went to the park this morning and set up where they had mowed and was able to get in a couple flights with the .35 powered plane. I still only had a half circle but it was mowed Wednesday. This plane has been really tortured. First with the .25LA that I couldn't get running the way I thought it should run. All kinds of nose stiffeners as I thought it was vibration causing my troubles. Then with the .20FP that went pretty well, then with a used .25 that took a few needle valve assemblies before I got one that gave me some adjustment in the rpm range I needed. Then I figured I could install a larger Max S-35 with the use of the universal mount and that went quite well. The Brodak .40 is only 0.2 ounces heavier than the Max-S .35 so I figured with the universal mount I could put that engine on the plane and that has worked out nicely so far. I plan to give it a try in the morning. A 35 ounce plane with a .40 in the nose should be just fine.

No comments: