Friday, August 23, 2024

PT-19 problems and fixes.

The Evo .36 was too weak so I installed the OS .46. I went to the park this morning and got in two flights with the new comnbo. First up I tried a loop and it was so big the plane pancaked into the turf. It shouldn't have done that so I looked it over real good. I found that the clevis thats attached to the elevator end of the pushrod wasn't the same thread as the thread on the pushrod. Vibration had worn the threads down enough that the clevis had slid on the pushrod giving me very little up control. I squeezed the clevis to tighten the threads and flew it again. I had to hold a lot of up as the clevis slid on the pushrod again. I ran the fuel out and landed without too much drama. I also had to bend the landing gear back inot shape as they got bent backwards in the first flight. I tried to remove them to bend eash but the person that assembled the plane in the first palce had glued then into the wing. Notrhing cracked when I bent then so I guess all is well. I put the lines away in favor of a set of 62 foot lines. That will give me more lap time with the more powerful engine in the plane. At home I cleaned the threads on both pieces and tinned the pushrod threads. Then I slid the clevis on where it should be, I hope, and soldered it in front of and behind the clevis. I shouldn't move. I had run the Evo .36 yesterday and couln't get above 8500 rpm. Today I removed the venturi and ran a .250 drill through it to give it more room for air to pass. Then I ran the tapered reamer into the top and bottom of the venturi and put it back into the engine. I ran it again with the same propeller and was able to get 9800 rpm with a bit more on tap. Should the Os .46 prove to be too much for the plane I'll put the .36 back on.

No comments: