Sunday, August 23, 2026

I can't believe it's not butter.

The weather lately has been very hot. in the high 90's, very little rain and very light wind in the morning when it's cool enough to fly. I get in two or three flights from 0700 to 0800 and head home. Without a light breeze the plane will run into it's own wake and could crash. I've lost a few that way. It is very good for trim flights so that is what I do. I've been doing a test using two part urethane clear spray paint in a can. There is a button on the bottom of the can that you hit to break a vial of activator in the can. Shake it up and paint. Trouble is most of the time you end up not using the whole can full of paint. I painted the Chief with the two part paint and right after I put the can into the fridge. 37 degrees F. I check it every week and so far it's not curing in the cold. My Yak-9 has been trimmed to fly properly, I sset it up to the way the plans said. By now the nose has been worn and holes poled through from too long bolts. I filled the holes and cleaned the nose area and sprayed two coats of Rustoleum white lacquer. I let that dry a few hours. I took the paint out of the fridge and heated some water and warmed the paint in the can. I sprayed two coats of clear on the new paint and so far it's curing normally. Now what I'm looking at is will the paint cure faster in the fridge once it's been warmed of not? I was going to fly today but I remembered that the lawn needs a bit of mowing and the morning is the time to do it.

No comments: