Sunday, July 22, 2007

I flew the rebuilt and modified Twister the other day. There was a pretty strong wind, for a test flight, and the wind was boiling off some trees causing much unwanted turbulance. I used the first Fox .35 I ever bought on the model. It has to be 40 years old and hasn't been run in 39. I used the new 60 foot lines and the new stoodge. All new and untried things is a recipe for disaster. The Fox started right up but needed a glow plug change. I had a 10x6 wood Zinger prop for the test flight. 15% nitro and 28% oil Red Max worked really well. The model was very sensitive on the controls and the wind knocked the model around a lot. I didn't dare try anything but level flight because of the conditions. Lap times were 4 and a 1/2 seconds and
my homemade uniflow tank gave a consistant engine run with a slight speed up a half lap before stopping. I packed up and left after the flight. I put an APC 11x4 on to get the lap times up to the 5 second range. I also added a longer bolt to the flap horn to get the geometry back to where it was before the crash and soften the control a bit. I reduced the line spacing from 4" to 3 1/2" by raising the down line 1/2". I found that I can't move my wrist in the up control as much as I can for the down control. Some calm morning I will try the Twister again. The new stoodge worked as planned but the thin board is too flexible. As soon as I make a new one with metal hinges I'll feel better. I must get up the nerve to fly the P-51 some day too.

1 comment:

2Evil4U said...

Sounds good! Any time you can return with the same number of pieces you started with is a good day!