Saturday, July 28, 2007

More changes

After flying the P-51 and Twister I had to make some wholesale changes. The Twister flew like it did new but that was not steady. It acted like it was tail heavy, quite jumpy in level flight. Unlike the P-51 which was rock steady inlevel flight. I found an old nylon control horn that is over an inch long. I removed the bolt and installed the horn on the flaps. The pushrod from the bellcrank went into the top hole and the elevator pushrod went into a hole that gave very close to 1 to 1 deflection. Close to 30 degrees up and down for flap and elevator. I found the c/g about where it should be but I wanted to move it further forward. I found a pair of 3 inch wheels and replaced the 2 inch with them. That moved the c/g slightly forward. Very old Perfect wheels. Then after much figuring and head scratching I installed a very old Veco 2 1/4 inch aluminum spinner. The Fox prop shaft is quite short and won't accept a plastic spinner. All together the changes should soften the controls and have brought the c/g up to the spar. On the P-51 I had to figure out why the engine slowed way down like it did. I didn't find any dirt or debris in the fuel system. I removed the needle valve and put a piece of fuel tubing over the threads and replaced it. I made up a new tank. A 4 1/2 ounce uniflow style, wedge shape, and installed it. Hopefully this will fix the engine run. I'm not ruling out the fact that the engine is new and maybe just cranky. Muffler pressure is a possibility too. I think I'll look for an article on trimming on the Pampa site or Stuka stunt.

No comments: