Friday, August 10, 2007

Fox .29 is the answer

I got in several flights with the Ringmaster/.29 combo in very good flight conditions. The plane was more stable than ever and had lap times of 4.9 sec. at 2 cycle and 5.5 at 4 cycle. My stoodge release line was three pieces of cotton string I tied together several years ago. It always annoyed me at the distance the pin would snap back when I pulled the string to release the plane. Many many years ago I bought a set of control lines made from kevlar. They are very wide and thick compared to cables. I only used them on one flight and the drag of the lines is extreme. I remembered those lines the other day and used it to replace the old cotton, stretchy string on the stoodge. Now I just gently pull the line and the plane is off. Good move. I saw a line winder and made one of those also. a piece of aluminum a piece of dowel and two screws. It works real well and a lot faster. I'm in the process of changing the leadout position on the Ringmaster. I made a better set of adjustable leadouts but I am slowly getting back to where they were in the beginning. The Ringmaster isn't that stable, it seems to wander in level flight so I have to keep after it a lot. It will climb after leveling off after a maneuver. I like to fly the Twister after the Ringmaster as the Twister is a lot more stable all around. I'm starting work on an old "Chief" from plans I got from England. The airfoil is shaped like a polywog and is a lot of trouble to get covering to stick down to the ribs as they are undercambered on both sides. I'm going to change the airfoil to the one used on the Nobler.

1 comment:

2Evil4U said...

sounds like it's coming around.
any possibility of doing a carbon fiber covered foam core for that weird airfoil?