Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Another muffler idea

I don't know if anyone remembers what the header for an OS .61 thats made to fit an Omega pattern plane looks like. It's tilted down and back almost like a Fox tiltdown muffler. It was made this way to get around the retracting nose gear. Anyway, it was the only header that could be made to fit the Fox .45. I elongated the mounting bolt holes to the inside and ground down a washer to fit inside the pipe. The outlet hole on the stock muffler is .375 so I ran a .375 drill through the washer hole and jammed the washer into the pipe. Now the exhaust exit points at the wing leading edge. I took a piece of 3/8 copper tube and jammed it into the washer hole and the exhaust will exit under the wing. I looked at the first muffler with the straight out pipe and many holes and cut it off just above the holes. I left the washer hole alone, about 5/16 dia. and only drilled two 3/16 holes above the washer. Now I have to test them. I don't know what to expect as I've made other changes in other areas. I ordered some balsa from Lonestar and 4 gallons of 25% all castor, 10% nitro fuel from Sig. They should be coming in soon. I have to add 4 ounces of castor to each gallon to bring the oil up to 28%. That is the recommended amount of oil for Fox engines. You can't help but get a good smoke trail with that stuff.

No comments: