Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Taxes made me do it.


I bought a 1978 Harley-Davidson Super Glide (FX) back in 1978. Brand new. I have about 70,000 miles onit if I add up the totals on the three speedometers I've gone through. It's older than rubber mounts. Well it's really a 78 and a 1/2 model as Harley came out with electronic ignition in late 78. It has served me quite well for an AMF year Harley. A couple weeks ago I got our town tax bill and I was not happy to see that the appraised value of the bike rose from 2000 to 6000 dollars. The town is going by values it gets from some book. My 37 ford also increased but not 200% like the bike. Of course we have only one avenue of relief and that is to re-register both as "Early American" vehicles. That designation has a max. vehicle value of 500 bucks for tax purposes.And this means a trip to the CT DMV. Not a thing to look forward to. Whenever I go to buy something I manage to get the new person at the cash register. And they mess things up and have to call for help which generally is no better than the newby. That happened twice today. Once at breakfast in Norwich and again at the DMV. You can just feel the love in the DMV office. Anyway three different helpers got the price of the two class transfers down to 112.00$. I tried to keep one of the vanity plates but the newby said "were not supposed to". The vehicles just don't look right any more.

No comments: