Monday, October 14, 2019

The Nomad mule.

We went to the park early this morning and I brought the P-40 and the Pathfinder. I made adjustments to both after the flights yesterday. A metal tank for the P-40 that holds over 5 ounces of fuel and larger screws for the engine rails on the Pathfinder. Both worked well and I got in two flights each as it started to rain a bit. At home I wiped the water off the planes and cleaned them up for the next outing. Then I had to mix up another 5 gallons of fuel as I don't have enough to go through the weekend contest. I had to use a gallon of 15% nitro fuel for the mix so I'll have 3% nitro in this batch. My tanks are big enough to handle it. With the engine swaps I ended up with the Stalker .51 sitting on the shelf. Then I got the idea of putting it on the Nomad 2 which I use for testing changes to the design. The bolt holes for the O.S. .46 on the plane didn't come close to matching the holes in the Stalker so I found the engine rails I used to put the Stalker in the Legacy 40. I had to trim a little off the engine cutout on the plane to get the Stalker to fit. Then I had to fill in where the OS sat as the rails would sit on top of the wood on the bearers. The whole swap went smoothly and I found a metal tank that fit in the tank space as the Stalker sits back a bit taking up room for the plastic tanks I like to use. All the while it had been raining and the rain stopped for a short while so I put some fuel in the tank and ran the engine for a few minutes to set the needle for easier starts later on.The OS engine had a plastic prop on it and those are not light. About 2.5 ounces. The Stalker engine is 0.9 ounces heavier than the OS and I'm using a wood prop on it. To get the same balance I used the stock muffler and that brought the balance back where it was. If the rain holds off in the morning I'll bring the Legacy, Legacy 40 and the Nomad test mule to the field. I wane to see which flys better the Legacy or the 40. I want to see which will handle wind better. Then I can test the Nomad.

No comments: