Saturday, October 12, 2019

Changes again.

I built the Pathfinder tail heavy. Using the Stalker .51 I needed a plastic prop, the muffler that came with the engine, a 2 ounce "heavy hub" on the engine and a half ounce of lead stuck to the nose to balance it. The engine had a vibration as it gets up to speed which bothers me. On the P-40Q I have an Evolution .52 r/c engine that I had converted to c/l use. It's a good running engine and weighs more than the Stalker. The bolt holes in the Evo don't match up to the Stalker so to swap them would be a problem. I did it anyway. I found some 3/16 x 1/2 aluminum pads that had 6-32 threaded holes already in it that matched up with the Evo. I marked where the fuselage that needed trimming and opened it up so the engine and pads would fit. After a couple coats of paint on the bare wood I screwed the engine in place. With a wood prop and stock muffler it balanced in the right spot. I had taken the Evo off the P-40Q and now I needed something for that plane as I use it for the warbird event at contests. On the Mandarin I have an Evo .60 engine that is made from the Evo .52 case. That means it is the same size outside as the .52. Just like the small block Chevy engines it can be swapped out without any problems. I removed it from the Mandarin and bolted it onto the P-40. I made a second trip to the park to check on how the swaps worked. The Pathfinder and the P-40 stay out on the lines a lot better now which I could have used at the Tulsa contest. I may use the Pathfinder for the profile event this weekend as it's always windy on contest days. I may have to get a larger fuel tank for the .60 but the 4 ounce tank should be enough for the .52.

No comments: