Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Rainy days are dangerous.

My trip to the park was put off because of the weather. So I got the idea of putting a proper electric motor mount in the Legacy. I had been holding off doing that because of the things that have to be removed first. All those things are expoxied to the fuselage. Namely the maple wood engine mounts. I had glued them in to last forever. I got the idea to split the maple with a chisel. But instead I put the chisel at the glue joint and hit it with a hammer. That popped the glue joint loose for a couple inches so I pried along the joint until the maple broke aft of the fuel tank area, almost to the end. I did the same thing with the other wood mount and then used the die grinder to remove as much maple as I could reach. Then I assembled the electric motor box and got it to fit. After some trimming I got things fitting like I wanted and glued the box in place. A little more trimming to fit the electronics and the battery and the plane is ready to fly again. I put the finished plane on the scale and it's 0.8 ounces lighter than before.

No comments: