Friday, February 21, 2020

First coat of paint.

I had severe doubts as to the compatibility of the primer I used on the plane with butyrate dope paint. Anyway the weather was dry enough today and that is rare this time of year in the south. I got the cheap detail spray gun and filled it with white paint. I sprayed a stripe on one wing and nothing happened. I expected the primer to wrinkle but it didn't. I sprayed a coat on the whole plane and mixed up another batch and gave the plane a second coat. Then a third, why not I'm on a roll. Now the paint will sit for a few days while we go to Dallas for a contest. It should be ready for the trim colors next week. The primer I was concerned about is Dupli-Color FP101 Gray Filler Primer. It's just like the stuff I wanted to use but the formula has been changed and it's crap now. The Dupli-Color has a fan spray tip that works very well. I've been sanding the black nose of the first Legacy trying to get the paint off. When Rustoleum finally cures it's tough stuff. I'm going to try color sanding and polishing that plane before trying it on the new one.

No comments: