Saturday, February 15, 2020

More fillets.

It was time to glue the rudder/fin on today. It took a bit of time to get it aligned but I got it. Then it was time for the fillets. I got the micro fil out and on the bottom of the hardener jug was a brownish liquid. I hadn't noticed that before. I put a stick down through the white stuff and into the liquid. It flowed onto the top of the white stuff. I figured it must be part of the hardener and that I should mix it up. It took a few minutes but I got it mixed and now the white stuff is creamy smooth. I mixed up a batch of fillet stuff and made the fillets for the stabilizer. The stuff flowed out real smooth this time not grainy like before. I went right into adding the fillets for the fin before the batch went hard. After that I installed the motor. Hooking up the wires proved to be quite a challenge. While I was at it I installed the landing gear and a battery. I checked the leadout position using the position that is shown on the plans. I didn't change a thing there. It may need changing after paint but it's just right for a test flight before paint. Except the ground is wet and muddy. While I had it with everything installed I weighed it without tip weight. I'll ad an ounce for flying. 63.3 ounces. A full 5 ounces less than the one I built using all the kit parts. I have 2 batteries that are 2 ounces lighter than the one I used so I can change the balance point easily without adding more weight. While using a light to align the motor and mount holes I saw a few defects that needed attention. Then I used the light on the rest of the plane and found more blemishes. I thought I was ready for paint. I have some paint and a pilot bust coming today. I'm still trying to decide on a color scheme.

No comments: