Tuesday, February 25, 2020

A little short on paint.

The base coat had over 4 days to dry. I started taping off for the first trim color. That took a few hours but went smoothly. I got the spray gun and hooked it up to the compressor. I got the jar of paint and I figured it would be enough. Then I got the opportunity to go to the hobby shop for some thinner. Everything was falling into place. I started to paint and got about 3/4 done with the first coat when I ran out of paint. A panic run back to the hobby shop for another jar of paint. I got back and mixed the paint real good, thinned it and dumped some in the gun. A couple squirts and the paint cup fell off. I hurriedly mixed what was left and finished the job. But the paint had black spots in it. I looked at the container and cup and there was stuff in them. I dumped the paint out and shook it up again and got a piece of fiberglass cloth to strain the paint. Another coat and all was well. Except that the masking tape lifted and I got overspray in a few places that required some cleaning up and tomorrow I have to spray white in a few places. My first dope paint job since the early 1960's. I weighed the plane and came up with an increase of 3 ounces with the paint so far. I figure another 3 ounces of clear which will bring me to the same as the other Legacy built with all kit woods. As far as the other Legacy, I've been stripping the paint off the nose using that as a test for color sanding and polishing.

No comments: