Sunday, March 8, 2020

First flight, finally.

The green only nose repair went fairly well and will stay that way. I was ready for the first flight of the new Legacy yesterday, 3,7,20. I packed the plane in the truck and around 3 pm we headed to the park. When we got there a soccer game was going on. Cars and people everywhere. We went home. I waited until afternoon as the winds were forecast to lessen. At home I checked the report for Sunday morning and it was good. With the time change that put things even closer to sun up and guaranteed light winds. After breakfast the wind was very light so I headed for the park again and this time it was deserted. No witnesses if something went wrong. That's important for a first flight. I had set the timer for the minimum flight time, 2 minutes. The first flight went very well. Even with too much handle spread I could hold the plane steady in level flight. On the second flight I reduced the spread 1/4 inch top and bottom. That made it easier to hold steady but still had a good turn. The wings looked level upright and inverted, the line tension was a bit more than the first Legacy but I didn't go above 45 degrees. Lap time on the first flight was 5:35/lap, the second was 5:75/lap. I'll watch that and reset the power if needed to maintain the first flights time. At home I weighed the plane and it's 68.1 ounces. Too much paint. Next time out I'll try a vertical eight if that goes well I'll increase the time for full patterns.

No comments: