Friday, June 2, 2023

Happiness is a good flying plane.

I am amazed at how well the new plane flys. Very stable in level flight and has a pretty good corner for a first flight. I didn't do anything to balance the plane as it came out real close to the normal Twister. I went back to the field with it a few days later and verified it's flying abilities. The new engine hasn't broken in yet and is a bear to start by hand. I had to fly it without the spinner as the engine would backfire and spit the prop off. Without the spinner I could tighten the prop quickly. I am concerned about the metal tank as the engine quit in the top loop of the verticle eight. I'll get a plastic tank and fit it into the tank compartment. While I had the tank hatch off I reoved the new engine and installed one that is well broken in. I didn't know I had a spare .46LA. I'm pretty much confined to the property as I don't want to leave the dog alone for too long. I started on the Vector I won at the contest raffle. I had a model of this plane maybe 10 years ago but it was built and covered in China. It flew quite well as I recall but the elevator horn broke out and it crashed. The kit has the same set up as the other one and now that I know about it I'll reinforce the area so it doesn't fail again. I took the wing out of the jig this morning and have to build the wing tips. Each one is 9 pieces of balsa that is laminated, saw cut to shape, lots of sanding and then split lengthwise, hollowed out and glued back together. I have a die grinder and a rotary rasp that makes very short work of hollowing. A big mess also.

No comments: