Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Update.

I have flown the Pathfinder and it flies well. I still need to get used to it. I just returned from a visit to LA, Nice weather and lots to do. I got in some flying with the Primary Force and won my class at the annual contest in Baton Rouge. I also helped my son solo a control line plane. All he has ever flown is R/C stuff but the transition went better than expected. I never touched the controls as he was doing well from the start. Three successful flights.
On my first flight I bounced on takeoff and shortened the prop a bit. It flew pretty good but not that good. I didn't have a prop of the same size and had to get one from Gil. I ordered 6 from Tower hobbies and took 4 home. The bearings in the Fox engine on the PF were making noise so I decided to replace them when I got home. I had one for the rear but had to order the front one from Fox along with a Hemi kit for the .35. The stuff came in today, barely a day after ordering, and the front bearing wouldn't fit. Fox is sending me another one, I hope it fits. I put the Hemi kit on one of the .35's and ran it to see how it runs. I'm surprised at the sound and performance. Just like the big boys now.
I put the Fox .25 on one of the kit built Primary Force models and flew it yesterday at the dog track. The engine isn't right yet. The plane flew very well in spite of the engine. Luckily the .25 and the .35 have the same mounting hole dimensions. I added some head shims to the .25 to calm it down and next time out I'll bring the hemi .35 too. Yesterdays weather was perfect and today it's high 40's 20 to 30 mph winds and spitting rain now and then. Maybe tomorrow.
Gil gave some head shims to put in the PF's .40 and it helped the run considerably. He said I should put in another. I have some spherical carbide burrs and took the head button and opened up the cavity the glow plug is in. This should take the place of the extra shim. I have heard of other "big boys" doing this to calm their engines a bit and decided to give it a try. I have some planes with similiar engines mounted so I can try it out in flight some day soon I hope.

No comments: