Wednesday, February 11, 2009

January thaw and dirty snow.


The weather man was right on the money with the forecast. I loaded up the car and headed for the dog track. I flew the newest plane in the fleet. I got in two flights and came home for some trimming. The plane flew right wing high and I tried to take the warp out with the heat gun. I loaded that plane and the Magician and went back to the dog track. The de warping didn't do much so I hooked up the Magician. I had tried to get the engine more in balance by grinding some of the piston skirt off but that was the wrong thing to do. I had a piston and cylinder from a .29 and it fit the .35 case and that is what I have in the Magician. The only difference between the two engines is the bore size. I started it and launched it. It wasn't very fast on take off but once in the air it picked up speed and flew quite well. I think I'll put that engine in the other plane and put a real .35 in the Magician. I'm going to call the other plane "Sorcerer's Apprentice". The fuse. is a copy of the Magician as is the tail feathers. The wing is constant chord with the number 5 rib from the Primary Force making the airfoil. It's got 510 sq. in. and weighs in the low 30 ounce range. Much lighter than the Magician. I think the Magician can fly better with less nose weight. I have a 2 ounce heavy hub on the engine and don't have a one ounce. I do have another 2 ounce that is shaped like a cup. After looking at it I figured I could hacksaw some of the cup part off and lighten it a bit. Then I got the idea to check the balance of the new part and use it to balance the engine some more. I have removed some weight from the crank shaft that has smoothed the engine some. I put the heavy blace of the prop in line with the crank counter weight and that helped too. I found the heavy side of the new weight and installed it on the heavy blade side. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: