Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Learning may have taken place.


After reviewing the successful first flight of the new Ringmaster I figured I would go through my fleet and adjust all models to the plan specs. I set the balance where it should be, the leadouts where it should be and put in the recommended amount of tip weight. Some planes are a tad lighter and some are a tad heavier, that is until I got to the Magician. Tip weight and leadout position were a snap. The balance point is 1 and 1/4" back from the leading edge. This is really forward. I started adding lead to the nose until it balanced where it is supposed to. 6 ounces in the nose. That is the easy part. Now to shape the lead and attach it to the engine cutout so the engine will fit back in. I planned to make a form and melt some lead into it. Then I remembered the stick on tire weights I didn't have. I bought 3 strips, 6 ounces each. After 3 or 4 hours of carving and fitting I got 5 ounces to fit under the engine. And then another brain storm. The back plate of the engine is cup shaped and could hold more lead. I took an old back plate and melted lead into it until it was full. I weighed it and got 1.3 ounces. I had to remove some to get it to fit the engine and tapped it into place. I was quite happy that the model was a light weight at 35 or 36 ounces when I built it. I haven't weighed it again yet. The old Fox .35 should pull it as I installed the "hemi kit" into it. It's a hop up kit for the engine sold by Fox.
I will try to put in some pictures of the new Ringmaster. I used some leftover paint from the hot rod on it. The paint has been sitting since 1999 in an epoxy thinner can. It is just as good now as it was then which really suprised me. Still it needs bright sunlight to see the green.

No comments: