Monday, October 4, 2010

Need design help.

The foam wing on the Lightning 20-10 has a m0lded leading edge glued on already. I plan to sheet the trailing edge 1 1/2" wide. Without sheeting the rest of the wing what is the stiffest or what will keep the wing straight during about 10 G maneuvers. Some spars top and bottom, or a geodesic pattern with 1/64" ply?? Or will it hold up with just the sheeting on the l.e. and t.e.?? Regular rib wings seem to do fine with a spar top and bottom.
I looked at the Twister plans and it shows much less than I have on the foam wing. So I will go with a 1/4" sq. spar top and bottom. The landing gear blocks will butt against the spar and will meet at the root glue joint. I plan to add some ply to the blocks at the joint too. After glueing the cores together I will sheet the center section so there will be an unbroken wood across the joint. The bellcrank post will attach to the landing gear blocks for strength. Should work.

2 comments:

2Evil4U said...

I was thinking that the spars top and bottom should be sufficient as long as they are anchored to the foam well.

Perry Rose said...

I used carpenters glue to attach the leading edges. I read that half the weight is water which dries off whereas epoxy is all there after it cures. I plan to use carpenters glue on the spars also. Probably spray glue on the center sheeting and epoxy on the landing gear blocks.