Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cold and snow.

It warmed up to 16 degrees and snowed 3 inches today. Wednesday night there is forecast a big storm coming again.
I got the ARF Twister in the box about a week ago. It's been too cold to do any painting so I stripped the Vector. The covering came off hard and left a lot of adhesive on the wood. It took two days to get the bulk of it off. The wing and stab tips are curved quite a bit so I added a half inch to each stab tip and squared it off. The wing tips are carved balsa and I finally decided to pop them off and make a wedge out of foam and put it at the leading edge so it sticks out an inch farther and the trailing edge is glued to the wing like it was in the first place. Much easier than making new tips. The original had a nose rounded off for a 1-3/4" spinner. I can't get any of my props to fit into that small of a spinner so I cut a half inch off the nose and built it up to take a 2" spinner. I moved the turtle deck forward 4" and will put either the original canopy or a bought one. I also added 2" to the rear which moves the fin back and changes the look. I also squared off the fin shape.I had to add shear webs to the spars and trailing edge sheeting. I took that opportunity to straighten the wing. Now it's pretty much up to fill and sand. Probably cover it with paper. I don't know yet what I'll do with the wing and stab.

No comments: