Thursday, March 3, 2011

Winter's here.

Forecast for the morning is minus 5 to 10 above. Sucks.
There is a kit maker that is making the 1/2A size models that I built back in the 50's. Blackhawk Models is the new maker Scientific was the original. All the planes were designed by Walt Musciano. Still alive too. I bought more than one kit from Western Auto in Moosup and they would replace it with the same kit. $1.50 each. The new price is $30.00 plus shiping. They are known as "hollow log" models because the fuse. is a block of balsa that is shaped like a fuse. and then the internals are routed/hollowed out. The one I built the most was called Lil' Mercury. I found a picture of the kit contents and started to build one from scratch and memory with the help of the picture. I got the fuse, wing, tail group and landing gear made so far. I used sheet balsa for the fuse as it's lighter and easier to build up. I used the wing from the plane I built when I started to get back into c/l. Engine is a Cox .049 with tank. Installing a separate tank is tough on these planes and messy. The landing gear is captured between the engine and firewall. Wing span is 18 inches. I'll have to check around to get the best line length, I used carpet thread at about 10 feet back when.

No comments: