Thursday, October 20, 2011

It all worked.

When we arrived in Slaughter, La I started on the new stab in the Primary Force. After an hour it was in and glued. I took the big Twister, now called "Mr. Twister", down and readied it for testing. I set the leadouts using my new 3.5 degree nose down method and didn't have to replace the leadout slider as it is a plastic Brodak unit. The next morning I noticed the new stab was crooked. I spent two hours peeling the epoxy off and re aligning it and re gluing. I went to the nearest flying spot, a ball field, and flew Mr. Twister. What a difference. I flew the P.F. but the old Fox was cranky but the plane flew well also. I got in several trim flights and full patterns with the Mr. Twister and was running low on fuel. Off to the hobby shop. The fuel I was using isn't available any more but there was another brand that was supposed to be the same blend. I tried it to be sure and was happy with how it performed in the OS LA .40. I found the engine used more fuel for the pattern but the tank is big enough to carry the half ounce extra.
At the contest I didn't get a score I figured I should have so I asked a knowledgeable person to watch my flight and see what I was doing wrong. He gave me several pointers but it was too late to effect that contest. I finished 6th out of 8. The next morning, Sun., I got in a short flight after tweaking the elevator for more deflection. and waited for the official flights to begin. My first flight really impressed the judges as to my improvement from yesterday. The second flight was as good. I was third after all flew but there was some kind of mix up with the appearance points and the director had all appearance points removed from all flyers in my class. That moved me up to second and a most improved congrats from the director. All because of the person that gave me hints. I got a Sig Banshee kit, a handle and two hats in the raffles.
I ran around Mon. morning to find some cardboard to wrap the kit in so I could mail it home. I sent two boxes at about 1100 that morning and they were waiting for me on Wed. morning after I got home. Winter project no. 3. I will be sending another OS .40 to La. to put on the Primary Force.
And the old computer crapped out and we just got the new one running.

No comments: