Friday, October 7, 2011

Test flights.

I got the idea to use nylon tubes on the leadout guides on my planes. I figured the plastic would be more slippery than the metal pop rivets I was using. I noticed an improvement on the first plane so I went ahead and changed all of them. I went to Oneco yesterday and the planes flew awful. The wind was strong and coming over the building created lots of turbulence. I wasn't sure if the wind was doing it or the change in the leadout guide had failed. Today I took three planes to the little league field and tested two that hadn't flown yesterday and one that did. The wind was just right and the planes all flew very well. I'm happy.
I read one of the notes on the plans for the 576 Ringmaster and applied it to the 576. It flew a lot better than it did. I couldn't repeat the setting on other planes as the levels bubble was out of sight. I began to measure the drop of the nose from level to free hanging. I came up with a 3/4" drop and set up all the planes to that. Measuring that is not easy with the plane hanging from the leadouts. I wondered what is the angle of the fuselage from level and came up with 3 degrees. The 3/4" is measured at the nose so I measured from the nose to the leading edge of the wing and then put 3/4" under a ruler at that dimension and took a level and put a shim under it until it read level. I transferred that to a protractor and got 3 degrees. Then I hung the planes that were changed and set the level on the side with the shim in position and they all are close 3 degrees nose down.

No comments: