Sunday, July 1, 2012

Ready for lights.

I tried breaking off all the heads of the screws that held the camper floor to the frame but most didn't break. I got the die grinder and cut a notch in the screws so they would break. I noticed that some moved when I touched them with the cut off wheel. A close look at the type of recess in the head revealed a 'clutch head recess". I had one of those tools and started to take a screw out. Too much turning for me so I removed the handle from the tool and stuck it into the drill motor. A few minutes later all the screws were out. I oiled everything that moves on the trailer. The front jacking wheel was bent backwards and I removed it and pounded things until the unit was straight again. The trailer hitch worked but something wasn't right. After oiling that I figured that a piece was moving and I figured that if it didn't move things would be better. I hadn't used the wire feed welder in a while so I hooked it up and put two tack welds on the moving piece and now it works very well. Agway didn't have the type of hooks I need for the safety chains. I re-installed the winch cable and need a hook for that too. A quick swipe with the wire brush and a wipe with a gas soaked rag and the frame is ready for about 3 cans of Rustoleum semi gloss black to match the registration. I found the V.I.N. tag and it got removed. The date of manufacture is April 1985.
  We went to the new school in Sterling and put up a flight with the Flite Streak and then I test flew the new plane. It went very well and I let grandson get in two flights with it. The fuel tank had to be mounted sideways and didn't work quite right. I removed it and installed a small metal tank in the standard way for the next outing.

No comments: