Thursday, November 22, 2012

Nice day.

It started out in the low 30's but by 0900 it was tickling 40. I put two tires in the Dodge and Red Molly and headed for the field. Once there I stopped at the used tire bin and made a deposit.
 Red Molly has been flying well but the turn hasn't been quite right. I could have removed weight from the nose or added weight to the tail to improve the turn but decieded against both. I couldn't get any more adjustment on the handle so I made 3 or 4 new ones. I started out using one I had won in the raffles. Line spacing is 5 inches which is more than the original handle which is what I need. On the first flight I found that the handle wasn't big enough for my hand but the spacing was very close to perfect. I took another bought handle, a plastic EZ-Just, and gave that a try. Just as good as the one it replaced. I got in 4 full patterns with it before going home. Being made of plastic there is no place to put a safety strap without drilling holes. I had made a copy out of wood several years ago and brought that out of storage. The plastic one has a cable running through it and a slide to make adjustments, very crude. I put 3/16" bolts through the wooden one and drilled holes in the bolt ends for the line clips.  Now I can adjust line length with the nuts on the bolts.  I dunked the handle in Poly Crylic to seal the wood and it's drying now. This mornings flying went quite well as the winds were very light and not coming over the trees and not blowing directly into the sun.

No comments: