Thursday, November 8, 2012

Waiting for the engine.

I ordered the engine shown on the plans for the Strega. The person who sells the Double Star engine only does business through the mail or fax. It's a bitch not knowing if the engine is in stock or in transit.
 I've been working on the wing and tail pieces in the meantime. This airfoil reminds me of the EU-1A wing. It's 2 7/8" thick at the root. Huge. On top of that I think the designer has a rib fettish. 38 of those buggers. 1 1/2" rib spacing. After sheeting the center section I still had to apply 60 cap strips. The wing tips are blocks. I roughed them out on the band saw then carved them to shape. In order to hollow the blocks I sawed them in half chord wise. After some die grinder work I glued them back together with a 1/32 ply spacer to take up the saw kerf and add strength. I cut 4 pieces of 1/8" balsa and sanded slots for the flap hinges. Then I cut the flaps and glued the hinge slot pieces to the flaps. I am leaning towards using Poly-Span for the wing covering.
 The Yak 9 old time stunt model is coming along nicely too. I opted to use Jap tissue instead of monokote on the wing. It takes paint better. I couldn't find a picture of the plane in anything but camoflage. So I'll try that. I got a jar of light blue for the bottom and will go with grey primer for the top with a cream color for the camo. OS .25LA for power.
  With the snow,rain and wind I figured it would be a good day to hit the hobby shop. 37.6 miles to Hog Heaven from here. Luckily most of the stop lights were set to blinking yellow. I got some 4-40 blind nuts,some 4-40 threaded solder on ends for the push rod, the blue paint, some 4-40 threaded rods and 2-56 stuff that I didn't need after all. Just for giggles I wrote the number for the fuel tank down and did find it at the shop. That saves a shipping charge from Brodak.

No comments: