Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mickey.

We went to the field this morning. I took the big ringmaster and the P-39. I had changed fuel tanks from a square Hayes tank to a round tank on the ringmaster. It didn't like the round tank so I put the Hayes tank back on. The engine ran very well. The P-39 has been troublesome in that the turns are quite different. I ran out of handle adjustment but was closing in on the problem. When we got home I set the P-39 controls to exact neutral. I had built in a hole that I could insert a pin through the bell crank and lock it in neutral. I set the controls to be neutral in the beginning but something has changed. I have a mark on the fuselage that is on the extended chord line so I can set the flaps in perfect neutral and the flaps were 3 turns of the clevis low. The elevator was correspondingly high and I brought that back down a turn below neutral, which is what all the "big boys" suggest. Now I had to reset the lines at the handle to neutral and we will start over. I have a plastic clunk tank so I can put an ounce of fuel in it to quickly check the control response. On the way home from the field we stopped at the Roadside Diner for a coffee. Yesterday I sent an application into Yankee Gas for a change over to a gas furnace. Our neighbors had changed to gas a few years ago and could be a source of info. As we entered there they were. I haven't seen them there until today. I talked to him about the gas service and got the number of the plumber that did his work. I'm waiting for him to return my call. With the oil tank gone I would have room for another plane or the work bench. The old furnace doesn't owe us anything. They have sold their house to one of the Hoyt girls and will rent it from them while their new house is being built. And they had to put up a security deposit. The closing is this week.

No comments: