Thursday, January 22, 2015

Third time is the charm, I hope.

The brakes on the El Camino have concerned me for a while. I changed one master cylinder because it was leaking. I changed that one because it had a vacuum leak through a hole that wasn't supposed to have vacuum. Then that cylinder failed suddenly in early November. The next one wouldn't give enough pedal to suit me. I looked up everything I could find on the master cylinder and found that I had a part with a 1 inch bore and the one I needed has a 1 and 1/8 inch bore. That one is for the front disc brake car. The only problem is that the push rod from the pedal through the booster on the car is long requiring a deep hold in the master cylinder. The right cylinder has a shallow hole and would never fit on the booster in the car. After finding out about the large diameter bore I figured the only way to remedy this is to get a booster/master cylinder unit. I found on on line and went to NAPA and ordered it. Big core charge so I removed the old unit and traded it in. 4 nuts to remove 1/8 turn at a time. The brake lines route behind the booster and are screwed to the booster mounting bracket near the nuts. The studs prevented me from removing that screw until the  nuts were backed off most of the way. The factory must have installed the unit before the fenders were installed. Anyway I got the new unit and will attempt to install it maybe tomorrow. I managed to get the master cylinder bench bled properly, I think. My grandmother would have been proud of me as I invented a few cuss words she didn't. She used all of hers on me so I know them all by heart.

No comments: