Thursday, July 12, 2018

First flight.

We went to the park on the 11th. I took the Super Chief and the Nomad 1. I flew the Nomad first and then the Chief. It was a long trail as the clear coats attacked the yellow paint ruining the finish. I removed the covering and put some more of the same covering on and this time I didn't use any clear on it.  That held things up a couple weeks. The engine, a McCoy .35 was given to me sometime in the 80's and had never been run. I had run it a few times during those years and just before installing it in the plane. I got it started and it was running a bit slow and barely got off the ground. It flew quite well even though it was a bit slow. On the second flight I set the engine for a faster run and got in a 5 minute flight. I did several of the pattern maneuvers but nothing overhead. I should be able to get in a full flight next time out.
  I am building a smaller version of the Chief to be used a s wall art in the house. The other planes that could be used are too large. The "Squaw" is almost up to paint. It won't be a flyable model.

No comments: